Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Ending the Hiatus

So, it's time to write again. After my book, Arts for Change, was completed www.artsforchange.org last January, I clearly needed to give the writing part of my brain a rest. Of course, I still wrote dozens of emails almost everyday, but publishing something for the public to read was not on my agenda. Now that my blog has been linked to Tikkun's blog, I feel a responsibility to be present. So here I am.

It's been a good ride during these past 8 months. The book came out in late Feb and I did readings and signings at various places (LA, Tacoma, NYC, western MA, Olympia, Port Townsend, Oakland and Berkeley). I took the months of July and August "off" partly so I could produce a new body of work, "underGROUND: Artifacts of the Moment"and it opened at my collective's gallery, VALISE on August 7th. http://www.valisegallery.org/Valise/Aug09show.html I "danced" through the creation of those pieces in the space of 28 days. It was quite the whirlwind. I will post some images of the mixed media work and an artist's statement sometime today.

Otherwise, it's time to start new adventures, and wrap my head around some difficult issues (like the mercenary, right-wing armies I heard Jeremy Scahill discuss yesterday on the radio http://odeo.com/episodes/25061031-Blackwater-The-World-s-Most-Deadly-Mercenary-Army-An-Interview-w-Jeremy-Scahill. I'm striving to keep a balance between daily deliciousness and impending doom, as my recent body of work will expose. More soon.

No comments: