Sunday, December 21, 2008

snow crusted into stillness

So, unofficially it's been said that this is the worst "blizzard" since 1948. I put blizzard in quotes, because without wind and whiteouts, this is really just a freakish snow storm, with occasional icy rain, and intense cold, and lots of snow (over a foot now). I feel like we live in the Alps or somewhere equally remote, but without shovels or plows or anything resembling the capability to deal with all of this. I plan to spend the rest of the day making latkes for neighbors who will be sliding down the hill or up, and curried coconut squash soup. The meringues are already made. As is the raw cranberry, apple and nut relish. After everyone leaves, I will organize my office and start writing a short paper for a conference. I want to write about this moment we are living in, one of great uncertainty and fear, as well as one of enormous potential. I've been doing an inordinate amount of web surfing and gleaning things from various sites that I hope to share soon. Tomorrow looks like another day without mobility, so I am hopeful that the muse will arrive to guide me.

No comments: