Monday, September 08, 2008

Off-line bliss

What does it mean to decide to take one's self off-line in this time of constant connection? It means revisiting the "world behind the world" that Michael Meade speaks so vividly to. The world without ticking clocks - although at Breitenbush there are bells for eating 3 times a day, but that's all that dictates one's daily movements other than the sun, the weather, and whether the soaking tubs are being cleaned. I am so grateful that we get to go there this evening, bit I am aware that it will be under some duress with Bob having missed many hours of sleep last night, and we will be driving in the dark.

Hey, compared to my friends in Cuba who are under the thumb of the hurricane as I type, our life is a bowl of home-grown apples (just made two pots of sauce). Hey, maybe it's good thing I'm going off line - my metaphors are getting a little thick around the neck.

No comments: