Saturday, June 21, 2008

Is Tourism Ever O.K.? Act I



Here we see a small group of tourists gazing up - are they looking for stray bomber jets leaving one of the thousands of military bases set up around Europe? Did someone scream UFOs? In truth, these are members of the small Naidus clan. My sister-in-law, Pat, who lives in England and is retired. My nephew, Elliot, who lives in San Francisco working as a barrista, and is applying to med school. My brother, Rick, who works as an emergency room doc in San FRan.

This gesture of looking seems to be the most common feature of tourists. Sometimes the look is curious, sometimes bewildering, sometimes truly bored. What does it mean to tour? We will investigate this when I've had a bit more sleep. Tomorrow we get on the boat, and I don't yet know whether I will have interent access. If you don't hear from me soon, you will know why.

No comments: